A disclaimer about this ramp pesto: Because ramps have such strong flavor, the oil and Parmesan in this recipe should be increased and decreased according to preference.
- 1/2 pound ramps, washed, ends trimmed, and leaves and bulbs coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 2/3 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Put the ramps, pine nuts, and Parmesan in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse 6 to 8 times or until coarsely ground.
Move the ramp mixture to a bowl and stir in the olive oil, lemon juice and zest. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
Store refrigerated in a glass jar for up to 5 days.