The Ramp Sandwich
- 8 slices firm-textured bread (a thick rye is good)
- Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 bunch of fresh ramps, tops removed and sliced into paper-thin slices
- Coarse salt, or sea salt
- Cracked pepper
- Mayonnaise (preferably the homemade Ramp Aioli in our ramp cookbook)
- Butter (optional- if you prefer use butter instead of the mayo)
Spread one side of each bread slice with a heavy layer of butter or mayo. Place a thin layer of sliced ramps over the spread. Lightly season the ramps with salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the sandwiches with remaining bread slices, pressing lightly to make them adhere. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerator for a few hours.